Monroe City R-I
Example Zoom search template page
R 2710 Reporting Child Abuse
Procedure for Reporting Abuse and Neglect
- When a student reports alleged sexual misconduct on the part of a teacher or other school employee to another school employee such employee and the Superintendent shall forward the information within twenty-four (24) hours of receiving the information to the Children's Division at 1-800-392-3768.
- However, if the report of alleged sexual abuse or neglect is received from someone other than a student, a report will be made to the Children's Division if the District has reason to believe that a child has been or is likely to be abused or neglected by telephoning the Abuse Hotline at 1-800-392-3738. The call will be logged with the date, time and nature of the report.
- School personnel will not notify the student's parents that a Hotline report has been made.
- When CD representatives interview students on District property, a school staff member will be present. CD representatives may not meet with a child at any school or childcare facility where abuse of the child is alleged to have occurred.
- When CD receives a report of suspected abuse involving a school employee, other than reports made under subsection (1), the CD is required to notify the Superintendent. If the alleged perpetrator is the Superintendent, CD will notify the Board President. The Superintendent will conduct an investigation to determine if the report was made for the purpose of harassing a school employee, or spanking by certificated school employee pursuant to Board policy, or the use of reasonable force to protect person or property. If it appears that the report was not made for harassment purposes, the matter will be reported back to the CD immediately. The report will then be jointly investigated by the Superintendent and the juvenile officer.
- Within seven (7) days of receiving notice from CD, the Superintendent and juvenile officer will submit separate reports to the Board of Education. Each report will state a conclusion concerning the validity of complaint of abuse.
- Within seven (7) days of receiving the reports, the Board will consider the reports and issue findings of fact and conclusions of law. The Board's report will be forwarded to the CD.
- When the District and student involved request mediation of the child abuse situation in a school setting, the matter will be referred to the Office of Child Advocate.
Board Approved Date: August 2011